Stay tuned as we announce more information about our 2017 season! Let the Opera Invasion continue!
L'Orfeo | July 8 | U.S. Stage Premiere
Orpheus, the man who could charm death itself with his music, travels to the underworld to retrieve his lost love, Euridice. The Chautauqua Opera Company presents the U.S. stage premiere of Ottorino Respighi's dazzling realization of Monteverdi's L'Orfeo. Come hear what happens when luscious and romantic orchestration is married to the rich melodies of one of the first operas ever composed.
Don Pasquale | July 28 & 31
On sale April 10
True Italian farce returns to the stage of Norton Hall, continuing Chautauqua Opera's dedication to performing operas for the entire family. Hijinks ensue when the aging bachelor, Don Pasquale, pursues the spirited Norina, hoping to trap himself a much younger wife. Chautauqua Opera Apprentice Artists will be featured alongside nationally renowned Guest Artists in Donizetti’s hilarious tale of love and deception.
Hydrogen Jukebox | July 27 & August 1
On sale April 10
Experience the collaboration of two of America's most revolutionary artists, composer Philip Glass and poet Allen Ginsberg, in this truly unique chamber opera. Hydrogen Jukebox paints a portrait of America approaching the end of the millennium, touching on political and social issues that are more timely than ever. Chautauqua Opera Studio Artists take the spotlight in this work which perfectly reflects the mix of arts and humanities that is the spirit of Chautauqua.
In addition to our mainstage operas, the Chautauqua Opera Company presents a variety of other programs including:
- An opera Highlights Concert and a Pops Concert with the Chautauqua Symphony Orchestra, featuring Our Apprentice Artists. Festival Seating
- Weekly Recitals featuring our studio artists. Admission is free with a gate pass. General seating
- Music Theater Revues and an Operatic Revue for Young Audiences featuring our Studio Artists. Admission is free with a gate pass. General seating.
- A fully staged Opera Scenes Program featuring our Studio Artists. Admission is free with a gate pass. General Seating.
- Masterclasses with Chautauqua Opera Artistic/General Director Steven Osgood. Admission is free with a gate pass. General seating