Chautauqua Institution is pleased to announce six exceptional books as the 2017 finalists for The Chautauqua Prize, now in its sixth year:
- The General vs. The President: MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War, by H.W. Brands (Doubleday)
- The Fortunes, by Peter Ho Davies (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt)
- Blood River Rising: The Thompson-Crimson Feud of the 1920s, by Victoria Pope Hubbell (Iris Press)
- Underground Airlines, by Ben H. Winters (Mulholland Books)
- American Character: A History of the Epic Struggle Between Individual Liberty and the Common Good, by Colin Woodard (Viking)
- The Song Poet: A Memoir of My Father, by Kao Kalia Yang (Metropolitan Books)
The winning book will be selected from this shortlist and announced in mid-May.