Are the grounds and venues handicapped accessible?
Chautauqua Institution offers a number of options to help patrons with accessibility.
- The Main Parking Lot located across the street from the Main Gate Welcome Center has a large section reserved for those with disabilities. A state-issued handicap parking permit is required to park in this area. You must then cross the highway where you can board a bus or tram to your destination.
- A limited number of spaces for those with disabilities are reserved behind the Main Gate Welcome Center. Again, a state-issued handicap parking permit is required to park in these spaces. Buses and trams are available, just inside the Institution gates.
- Enter the grounds using a 20-minute “handicap drop off” pass. These passes are available at the Main Gate automobile entrance, just behind the Main Gate Welcome Center. After all passengers with disabilities are dropped off, the car must be parked in the Main Parking Lot.
- Electric scooters may be rented at the Main Gate Welcome Center at a cost of $50 a day. Wheelchairs are available at a cost of $5 a day. Scooters may be reserved in advance by calling the ticket office (716.357.6263). Wheelchairs are rented on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Those whose disability or personal situation precludes them from using the options above should visit the Main Gate Welcome Center upon arrival and request the assistance of a supervisor.