Who are Chautauqua Advocates?
Chautauqua Advocates are a group of dedicated Chautauquans that host local gatherings and share their Chautauqua experiences with friends, neighbors, and colleagues – and help Chautauqua engage others who are likely to enjoy and benefit from the arts, ideas, and life-long learning. These gatherings do not have to be large in scale and can simply be an informal gathering in your home.
How can we help?
Chautauqua Institution staff is here to help you in any way throughout the process. We can help with guest list creation, mailings, artwork, and will provide a DVD with short videos on Chautauqua, the arts, religion, music, entertainment, recreation, youth programs, and education. Visit our press page for pictures of Chautauqua Institution to use at your party.
- Contact Vanessa Weinert at Chautauqua Institution today with your interest in becoming an advocate!
- Decide your party plans. Would you like to have an informal conversation or show videos provided by Chautauqua staff? Would you like to focus on the performing and fine arts or give an overall summary of Chautauqua programming?
- Decide on your style of party (dessert party, tea, cocktails & finger foods, etc.).
- Prepare a guest list which includes names, mailing addresses, and e-mails. Chautauqua staff is here to assist in this process. We can contact other Chautauquans in your area to see if they have any other possible invites or collaboration ideas.
- Determine the size of your party depending on how many will fit comfortably in your home or other chosen venue.
- Tailor the invitation template to your party plans and style and mail and/or e-mail invitations to guest list. Plan on providing 3-4 week notice if possible.
- Follow up with guests who you have not heard from (1 week out).
- On the evening of the event, be informative and have fun! Share your Chautauqua experiences and describe the programming mix…there’s something for everyone!
- Show a short video about Chautauqua at your event. Contact Vanessa Weinert to request a DVD.!
- Have guests sign in and those who provide their email address they will be entered to win a free stay at the hotel! They are also offered a special rate for a hotel stay just by attending your event.
- Send your final guest sign-in sheet and a photo of the event (if you took one) to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Chautauqua Institution, Marketing and Communications, PO Box 28, Chautauqua, NY 14722.
- Let us know when you plan on visiting Chautauqua in the 2013 season. It would then be our turn to host a small party for all of our Chautauqua Advocates and attendees.