Thank you to everyone who entered our 2016 contest.
We are very pleased to announce the three winners and two runners-up of our 2017 #chqhaiku contest. Thank you again to everyone who submitted their poem we hope you join in the fun again next year!
Every day, each hour,
for lifelong learning and love,
for all the bell tolls.
~ Joshua Johnson
lead to enclaves of worship
Floating sacred words
~ Maria Poblete
On this fragrant summer night
~ Susan Baruch
Loud. Strong. FDR,
From the amphitheater stage
Cried out, "I hate war."
~ Benita Black
In a practice shack
an unknown musician plays
~ Paul Scheeler
Chautauqua’s Education department will judge submissions once again this year. Our contest runs through November 17 and winners will be announced December 1.
• First Place Prize: 4-year CLSC membership and one 2017 CLSC book
• Second and Third Place Prize: 1-year CLSC membership and one 2017 CLSC book
• Winning poems and honorable mentions will be published in the Winter Chautauquan.
• Deadline to enter is Thursday Novemer 17, 2016. Winner announced on Thursday December 1, 2016
• The contest is open to all. Limit of 3 submissions per poet please.
• All entries on social media must be tagged #chqhaiku
• You must write your own poem about or inspired by Chautauqua. If you are helping someone else send in their submission please make sure that is clearly communicated.
• Haiku is written in 3 lines, the first and third lines have 5 syllables, and the second line has 7 syllables. (Slight modifications are acceptable).
• All poems must be "family friendly" to be accepted. If you have a question on what is considered family friendly, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.